ABOUT THE ROLE
Eakin R&D Limited, part of the Eakin Healthcare Group, is now recruiting for a Formulation R&D Assistant. This role will report to the Formulation Chemistry Manager, this is an exciting opportunity to join a growing R&D team. Crucially this role will involve all aspects of formulation research and development leading to the development of new adhesives and products for the Eakin Healthcare Group.
- Contribute to the development of new devices, from early stage product concepts to ready for production, in line with Eakin R&Ds development strategy.
- Support formulation research and development projects.
- Contribute as a matrix team member to allocated work-streams within development projects, to meet project targets and ensure end product meets with customer expectations and operational needs.
- Provide input to technical reports and design documentation for internal and external users to review ensuring that the content is accurate and informed.
- Adopt a continuous improvement approach by proactively seeking out development opportunities.
- Plan and carry out laboratory manufacture and testing as required. Developing new adhesives and product formulations to meet identified market needs.
- Researching new technologies or materials that may be used in the field of medical adhesives.
- Support technical analysis of the marketplace, creating data to both drive product development and the marketing activities.
- To adhere to the company’s Equal Opportunities policy and dignity at work policy in all activities and to actively promote equality of opportunity wherever possible.
- To be responsible for your own health and safety and that of your colleagues, in accordance with the company’s’ Health and Safety policy.
- To adhere to the company’s Quality policy and Environmental policy to undertake other duties as may be reasonably required.
- Must be working towards a Degree level Scientific Discipline, preferably in a Chemistry, Materials science or Chemical Engineering related subject.
- Be able to work in a multi-functional, multi-disciplinary team and to build relationships with peers.
- Will be comfortable with both the practical and theoretical aspects of product development.
- Will have an ability to manage own time in a fast-paced environment and on multiple projects at one time.
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills
- The successful candidate will have a ‘can do’ attitude and be able to work on their own initiative
- Knowledge in one of the following subject’s pharmacy, chemistry, polymer science, materials science, biochemistry and chemical engineering.
- Theoretical knowledge which could include the topics of rheology, adhesion mechanisms and surface chemistry.
- Working knowledge of analytical techniques such as DSC, FTIR, Raman spectroscopy and pressure sensitive adhesive testing.
Anticipated start date June 2021
KEY WORKING RELATIONSHIPS
- Working within the R&D team to support projects
- Working alongside Manufacturing to understand manufacturing implications of technical decisions
- Working alongside the Commercial team(s) to understand the commercial implications of technical decisions
- Quality - ensuring all documentation is of an appropriate and consistent standard
- Test houses
- Travel Requirements: Possible UK travel to support projects
Problem solving – Generates and promotes solutions. Sees clearly which is the best way forward. Able to make decisions and commitments within appropriate time frame.
Resilience – Can work under pressure, remains calm, thinks clearly and manages emotion under pressure. Addresses issues without being aggressive or controlling and can easily bounce back from setbacks. Is open to feedback and doesn’t dwell on past events.
Team Working – Enjoys participating in group activities and likes to work in close proximity with other people. Is ready to collaborate with and support others and is willing to co-operate and compromise for the overall good.
Following Directions – Is motivated to accept and comply with standards and instructions and has a strong conscience about delivering what is promised or expected. Doesn’t like letting people down and works productively in cooperation with, and support of others.
Analytical – Enjoys analysing qualitative data but also considers quantitative and seeks to identify and explore they key elements in information before making commitments. Tends to like to use facts and figures when planning and reporting and is concerned about accuracy and detail
Planning and Organising – Thinks things through well in advance and maps out future activities, taking the key stages and requirements into account. Likes to monitor to ensure that things are implemented and delivered effectively
Quality Orientation – Is precise, pays attention to details, checks things and ties up ‘loose ends’. Has a strong conscience about getting things right and seeks to ensure that decisions and solutions do not involve undue risk, adheres to policy and standards.
Interpersonal / Influencing – Deals with other in a convincing way that leads to gaining agreement without relying on hierarchy and shows sensitivity to working relationships. Doesn’t give up easily in the face of opinions that differ from their own. Influences others to reach conclusions and gain agreements.