ABOUT THE ROLE
The BI Analyst role sits within the Data & Process Team and supports the Group Data Strategy by understanding requirements and delivering reporting and insights primarily utilising SQL and Microsoft Power BI. To facilitate this, data can be sourced from multiple sources including through the Group ERP System. This data will be used to predict future trends, identify areas for improvement, allow analysis of customer behaviour, product performance, other aspects of business operations and streamline processes to increase efficiency.
This role requires a high standard of skills in Power BI to create visualisations and ensure reports are intuitive.
- Consulting with management and relevant stakeholders to define goals.
- Liaising with internal and external stakeholders to identify areas of the business that could benefit from analysis.
- Researching, developing and implementing data-gathering methods.
- Analyse business processes and requirements
- Building customer dashboards and reports in PowerBI, utilising DAX and Power Query.
- Work with SQL to query data sets and optimise solutions in SSIS and Azure Data Warehouse.
- Data merging from ERP System to existing data model.
- Data migration and integration from source to destination, which may be ERP.
- Creating and maintaining a SQL data Warehouse
- Identify opportunities to improve processes and strategies with technology solutions.
- Identify development needs in order to improve and streamline operations.
- Reviewing data collection processes and assessing the validity of the information stored.
- Conducting tests to ensure that intelligence is consistent with defined goals.
- Analysing competitive market strategies through analysis of a related product, market, or share trends.
- Create and maintain documentation including requirements, design and user manuals
- Understanding the laws surrounding the collecting and processing of data and ensuring that all policies reflect current legislation.
- Using, researching, and assessing data processing software.
- Identifying anomalous data, examining, and eliminating any processes or procedures that contribute to unreliable data being collected.
- Working closely with BA/ERP Analysts to analyse business processes and provide efficient solutions.
- Working closely with the IT department to ensure that the data collection and storage systems are secure and robust.
- Developing BI and data warehouse strategies alongside Group Data Architect.
- Develop and manage BI solutions.
- Presenting findings to all levels of management.
- Provide reports, processes and Excel VBA applications through the application life cycle.
- Maintaining or updating BI tools and databases.
- Substantial proven experience in a similar role.
- Experience with Data Visualisation - PowerBI is preferable.
- Working technical experience with designing SQL databases and capable of ensuring data capture and manipulation from other sources.
- SQL Server Integration Service (SSIS)
- Strong understanding of database structures, theories, principles, and practices.
- In-depth experience with data management and data processing flowcharting techniques.
- Broad knowledge of reporting and query tools and practices including Crystal Reports and Microsoft Power BI.
- Data manipulation and analysis skills using Excel and other tools.
- Ensuring that data is being correctly gathered, monitored, stored, and analysed.
- Strong reporting skills to present insights concisely.
- Able to work both alone to analyze findings as well as a member of a team to work with other departments, such as when implementing new data analysis software.
- Stakeholder management skills, with the ability concisely communicate findings.
- Writing data collection and processing procedures.
- Develop methodologies to improve data analysis.
- Good understanding of the organisation’s goals and objectives.
- Knowledge of applicable data privacy practices and laws.
- Good interpersonal, written, and oral communication skills.
- Strong technical documentation skills.
- Ability to present ideas in user-friendly language.
- Highly self-motivated and directed, with keen attention to detail.
- Proven analytical and problem-solving abilities.
- Able to prioritise and execute tasks in a high-pressure environment.
- Strong customer service orientation.
- Experience working in a team-oriented, collaborative environment.
- SQL Server Analysis Services (SSAS).
- SQL Server Reporting Services (SSRS).
- Experience of working with Sage X3 is advantageous.
KEY WORKING RELATIONSHIPS
- All department managers within the group to ensure their reporting requirements are being met.
- IT Suppliers and support companies.
- Willingness to travel to other Group sites for meetings.
Analytical – Enjoys analysing qualitative data but also considers quantitative and seeks to identify and explore they key elements in information before making commitments. Tends to like to use facts and figures when planning and reporting and is concerned about accuracy and detail.
Following Directions – Is motivated to accept and comply with standards and instructions and has a strong conscience about delivering what is promised or expected. Doesn’t like letting people down and works productively in cooperation with, and support of others.
Information Gathering – Enjoys dealing with and refers to factual data. Likes to be well informed and drills down into details. Prefers to access wide range of information and opinion before making decisions and when solving problems.
Oral Communication – Talks readily and confidently to people, expressing themselves with obvious ease. Speak out and makes themselves heard, often playing a leading and influential role in debate and discussion.
Planning and Organising – Thinks things through well in advance and maps out future activities, taking the key stages and requirements into account. Likes to monitor to ensure that things are implemented and delivered effectively.
Quality Orientation – Is precise, pays attention to details, checks things and ties up ‘loose ends’. Has a strong conscience about getting things right and seeks to ensure that decisions and solutions do not involve undue risk, adheres to policy and standards.
Resilience – Can work under pressure, remains calm, thinks clearly and manages emotion under pressure. Addresses issues without being aggressive or controlling and can easily bounce back from setbacks. Is open to feedback and doesn’t dwell on past events.
Supporting Others – Enjoys supporting other people and is prone to getting involved and trying to help them when they have problems. Is comfortable to contribute to joint endeavours and enjoys teamwork. Is willing to let other people depend on them.
Technical expert – Full breadth of technical knowledge and can operate as a technical advisor, influencing others to achieve goals without relying on hierarchy. Keeps up to date on changes within their field and implements plans to ensure organisation is in a state of readiness. Participates in industry and professional associations.