ABOUT THE ROLE
Based in Cardiff and reporting to the MD UK Ostomy, the Commercial Director UK Ostomy is responsible for providing leadership for all commercial activity for the UK Ostomy businesses, namely Pelican Healthcare and Respond Healthcare.
The Commercial Director is responsible for leading sales and business development departments to achieve commercial targets for the business, to develop comprehensive business plans for new product launches, working collaboratively as part of the UK Ostomy Senior Leadership Team (SLT)
- Drive the commercial success of the company’s stoma care products (Pelican Healthcare) and its prescription dispensing and home delivery services (Respond), through the growth of sales, GM and successful introduction of new products
- Lead, inspire and develop an effective commercial team in the development and delivery of KPIs and coherent business plans
- As a member of the UK Ostomy Senior Leadership Team develop strong working relationships and effective collaboration with all SLT colleagues, supporting the growth and development of the UK Ostomy business and EHG overall
- Delegate responsibilities and supervise work of UK commercial team providing guidance and creating an environment that will motivate to drive maximum performance whilst managing change effectively
- Communicate and maintain trust with key internal and external partners
- Ultimate responsibility for commercial relationships at senior level with the NHS, contract tendering and the success of subsequent partnerships
- Manage and develop key commercial relationships with all customer types which make up the modern decision-making unit of the NHS to identify and maximise strategic commercial opportunities
- Where appropriate develop & mange commercial relationships with private sector providers to identify and maximise strategic commercial opportunities
- Create a sustainable pipeline of commercial developments and ensure financial plans are regularly updated with the latest commercial income forecasts
- Strong collaboration with other EHG companies
- Provide regular reports on commercial issues, plans and risks, supported by appropriate tactics and strategy
- Act as public speaker and public relations representative of the company in ways that strengthen our profile
- Identify, nurture, and develop key external relationships to drive the business agenda in the wider marketplace
- Effective team leadership and communication ensuring that information is communicated throughout
- Contribute to M&A plans affecting the UK operation
- To adhere to the company’s Equal Opportunities policy and Dignity at work policy in all activities and to actively promote equality of opportunity wherever possible
- To be responsible for your own health and safety and that of your colleagues, in accordance with the company’s’ Health and Safety policy
- To adhere to the company’s Quality policy and Environmental policy
- To undertake other duties as may be reasonably required
- BSc/BA in business administration or relevant field
- Previous experience in Commercial Leadership within medical device industry
- People management experience
- A proven natural leader, able to foster a culture and environment in which people can perform at their best
- Demonstrable experience in developing strategic commercial plans to deliver growth
- Background in commercial sales & business development
- Strong understanding of NHS strategy and policy
- Experience of NHS tendering and sponsorship.
- Strong influencing and negotiating skills
- Excellent organisational and leadership skills
- Excellent communication, interpersonal and presentation skills
- Strong understanding of corporate finance and measures of performance
- High energy levels to execute commercial business decisions.
- Ability to work cross functionally with other group entities
- Specific experience in the Ostomy Care, Wound care, Urology
- Previous experience of working within a family owned/run business
KEY WORKING RELATIONSHIPS
- Commercial Team
- UK Ostomy Senior Leadership Team
- Group functions: HR, Finance, Operations and R&D
- Healthcare Stakeholders
- NHS Procurement/Business
- Trade Associations
- Initially 4 direct reports managing a wider commercial team of approximately 15.
- Responsible for achieving the annual revenue target & annual commercial budget as well as influencing overall divisional resource allocation as part of the Senior Leadership Team.
- Ability/willingness to travel within UK and Internationally
Entrepreneurial Instinct – Identifies new, sometimes radical, business and development opportunities and drives them forward with enthusiasm and energy. Influences direction and outcomes and copes with an element of risk
Commercial Orientation – Ensures appropriate data is used to evaluate risks. Looks at the wider implications and is likely to try to assess the long-term impact. Influences others and intervenes to get appropriate results
Strategic Awareness – Maintains a strong awareness of long-term goals and plans, keeping the future eventualities and possibilities in mind. Thinks in a global way and sees the bigger picture. Is likely to make impact on future direction and outcomes
Resilience – Can work under pressure, remains calm, thinks clearly and manages emotion under pressure. Addresses issues without being aggressive or controlling and can easily bounce back from setbacks. Is open to feedback and doesn’t dwell on past events.
Team Working – Enjoys participating in group activities and likes to work in close proximity with other people. Is ready to collaborate with and support others and is willing to co-operate and compromise for the overall good.
Leadership – Likes to take charge of, control and direct the people and activities in their work arena. Clearly sees the way ahead, influences and encourages others to follow their lead in order to achieve goals.
Planning and Organising – Thinks things through well in advance and maps out future activities, taking the key stages and requirements into account. Likes to monitor to ensure that things are implemented and delivered effectively
Interpersonal / Influencing – Deals with other in a convincing way that leads to gaining agreement without relying on hierarchy and shows sensitivity to working relationships. Doesn’t give up easily in the face of opinions that differ from their own. Influences others to reach conclusions and gain agreements.