ABOUT THE ROLE
Based in Comber and reporting to the Formulation Chemistry Manager, this is an exciting opportunity for the successful applicant to join a multidisciplinary R&D team. Specifically, this role will involve formulation research, development and scale-up, leading to the launch of new adhesives and medical products for the Eakin Healthcare.
- Contribute to the development of new devices, from early stage product concepts to ready for user trial product, in line with Eakin’s development strategy, Quality system and NPI process.
- Lead formulation research and development projects aligned to Eakin’s strategic plans.
- Contribute as a matrix team member to allocated work-streams within development projects, to meet project targets and ensure end product meets with customer expectations and operational needs.
- Provide input to technical reports and design documentation for internal and external users to review ensuring that the content is accurate and informed.
- Adopt a continuous improvement approach by proactively seeking out development opportunities by learning and attending training courses to ensure that department has right skills to deliver business needs.
- Provide formulation and technical knowledge input to activities and business decision making within your specialty area.
- Undertake where appropriate diligent laboratory testing, including creation of test protocols, designing and procuring test apparatus, analysis of results and report writing
Job Specific Accountabilities
- Developing new adhesives and product formulations to meet identified market needs.
- Ensuring all products are safe and meet all legal and regulatory requirements in all markets served by the Eakin group.
- Continually improving the existing range of adhesives and sealants manufactured by the group.
- Continuously researching new technologies or materials that may be used in the field of medical adhesives – attending conferences, trade shows for example.
- Working with the Innovation Team, identify new opportunities for formulation
- Support technical analysis of the marketplace, creating data to both drive product development and the marketing activities.
Decision Making and Influence
- Take responsibility for project-base decisions using experience to resolve relatively complex problems, escalate issues with significant risk/implication to the Formulation Chemistry Manager.
- Uses a range of standard and well-established methods where applicable but is sufficiently confident with technical matters to know when the standards do not apply, and to propose new test methodology.
- Objectives will be set and regularly reviewed against the company plans.
- To adhere to the company’s Equal Opportunities policy and Dignity at work policy in all activities and to actively promote equality of opportunity wherever possible
- To be responsible for your own health and safety and that of your colleagues, in accordance with the company’s’ Health and Safety policy
- To adhere to the company’s Quality policy and Environmental policy
- To undertake other duties as may be reasonably required
- Educated to Degree level in a relevant Scientific or Technical subject.
- Significant experience in the development and manufacture of adhesives or similar formulations.
- Relevant Post Graduate degree or doctorate.
- Significant experience in the development and manufacture of medical adhesives and the associated regulatory framework of the medical industry.
- Working knowledge of Polymer Science and Engineering including rheology, stabilization and surface chemistry. Working knowledge of analytical techniques such as FTIR, Raman, pressure sensitive adhesive testing.
- Working knowledge of ISO 13485 compliance including ISO 10993 biocompatibility.
- Understanding of international regulatory requirements, such as US FDA and Japan FDA a plus
The successful candidate
- A technical expert in the development of medical adhesives.
- Be able to work in a multi-functional, multi-disciplinary team and to build relationships with peers.
- Comfortable with both the academic and theoretical aspects of adhesive development and the practical application to scale up.
- Will have an ability to manage own time and that of others in a fast-paced environment and on multiple projects at one time.
KEY WORKING RELATIONSHIPS
- R&D team to provide appropriate test methods and results
- Manufacturing team to understand manufacturing implications of technical decisions
- Commercial team to understand the commercial implications of technical decisions
- Quality to ensure all documentation is of an appropriate and consistent standard
- Test houses
- Nurses and physicians
- Product Users
- Occasional travel to universities, training courses, exhibitions and other Eakin Healthcare group sites to support projects.
Technical expert – Full breadth of technical knowledge and can operate as a technical advisor, influencing others to achieve goals without relying on hierarchy. Keeps up to date on changes within their field and implements plans to ensure organisation is in a state of readiness. Participates in industry and professional associations
Creativity – Produces creative and original ideas and solutions. Likes to find and explore new ways of doing things. Comes up with alternative possibilities and options
Entrepreneurial Instinct – Identifies new, sometimes radical, business and development opportunities and drives them forward with enthusiasm and energy. Influences direction and outcomes and copes with an element of risk
Problem solving – Generates and promotes solutions. Sees clearly which is the best way forward. Able to make decisions and commitments within appropriate time frame.
Resilience – Can work under pressure, remains calm, thinks clearly and manages emotion under pressure. Addresses issues without being aggressive or controlling and can easily bounce back from setbacks. Is open to feedback and doesn’t dwell on past events.
Team Working – Enjoys participating in group activities and likes to work in close proximity with other people. Is ready to collaborate with and support others and is willing to co-operate and compromise for the overall good.
Quality Orientation – Is precise, pays attention to details, checks things and ties up ‘loose ends’. Has a strong conscience about getting things right and seeks to ensure that decisions and solutions do not involve undue risk, adheres to policy and standards.
Supporting Others – Enjoys supporting other people and is prone to getting involved and trying to help them when they have problems. Is comfortable to contribute to joint endeavours and enjoys team work. Is willing to let other people depend on them.
Following Directions – Is motivated to accept and comply with standards and instructions and has a strong conscience about delivering what is promised or expected. Doesn’t like letting people down and works productively in cooperation with, and support of others.
Analytical – Enjoys analysing qualitative data but also considers quantitative and seeks to identify and explore they key elements in information before making commitments. Tends to like to use facts and figures when planning and reporting and is concerned about accuracy and detail
Information Gathering – Enjoys dealing with and refers to factual data. Likes to be well informed and drills down into details. Prefers to access wide range of information and opinion before making decisions and when solving problems.
Planning and Organising – Thinks things through well in advance and maps out future activities, taking the key stages and requirements into account. Likes to monitor to ensure that things are implemented and delivered effectively
Interpersonal / Influencing – Deals with other in a convincing way that leads to gaining agreement without relying on hierarchy and shows sensitivity to working relationships. Doesn’t give up easily in the face of opinions that differ from their own. Influences others to reach conclusions and gain agreements.