ABOUT THE ROLE
Reporting directly to the Industrialisation Director, this is an exciting opportunity to join a growing team, and work across various functions. Working in close partnership with our Product Designers and Production team to ensure all new products transition from Design to Production seamlessly within the Group. This role is a partially hands-on role and will suit an individual who can quickly build professional working relationships, work within a team and enjoy working to a high degree of autonomy.
- Contribute to the development of new devices, from early stage product concepts to ready for market, in line with Eakin’s development strategy, Quality system and Development Process.
- Contribute as a key team member to allocated work-streams within development projects, to meet project targets and ensure end product meets with customer expectations and operational needs.
- Provide input to technical reports and design documentation for internal and external users to review ensuring that the content is accurate and informed.
- Adopt a continuous improvement approach by proactively seeking out development opportunities by learning and attending training courses to ensure that department has right skills to deliver business needs.
- Provide engineering and process knowledge to input to activities and business decision making within your speciality area.
- As a key member of the New Product Introduction (NPI) project team investigate all manufacturing solutions and liaise with Production to ensure agreed production systems are in place by the agreed project milestones
- Develop technical specifications for new manufacturing systems
- Lead process validation activities.
- Advise and coordinate with the R&D team on any new equipment, tooling etc required for new products or process improvements ensuring the lead times are considered against project plans for product launches
- Continually review existing and new processes, implementing process improvements and keeping under review the effectiveness of changes
- Visit trade shows and develop key working relationships with equipment suppliers to ensure out manufacturing systems reflect the current best in class systems
- Ensure all associated Quality documentation and reports are maintained and kept up to date
- Required to make decisions within remit above and to escalate issues with significant risk/implication to relevant Technical Lead(s), Project Manager(s) or Engineer(s).
- Uses a range of standard and well-established methods to guide decisions and ultimately establish themselves as a thought leader within the company for decisions related to the Industrialisation of new devices.
- Objectives will be regularly reviewed and set in line with company plans.
- To adhere to the company’s Equal Opportunities policy and Dignity at work policy in all activities and to actively promote equality of opportunity wherever possible
- To be responsible for your own health and safety and that of your colleagues, in accordance with the company’s’ Health and Safety policy
- To adhere to the company’s Quality policy and Environmental policy
- To undertake other duties as may be reasonably required
- Degree or equivalent qualification in an engineering or related discipline
- 5 years’ experience in a similar role(s) within a manufacturing environment.
- Working knowledge of continuous improvement methods to improve overall equipment effectiveness (OEE), quality, reduce cost, inefficiencies and waste.
- Experience of designing and conducting Process Capability Studies – this will be a significant aspect of the job. Whilst not a Validation Engineers role a deep understanding of how to prove that a Process works through Validation will be required.
- Experience of sourcing, purchasing and installing manufacturing equipment, ideally leading but as part of a team is acceptable.
- Able to manage own schedule and work in a fast-paced environment and on multiple projects at one time whilst still delivering to plan
- Hold a valid driving licence and able and willing to travel internationally
- Proficient in the use of 2D CAD systems e.g. AutoCAD
- Knowledge of ISO 13485 quality systems or the equivalent.
- Able to demonstrate a working knowledge of electro-mechanical systems
- Experience with automation and robotic control systems
- Proven track record in the use of Process Capability tools.
KEY WORKING RELATIONSHIPS
- Working alongside the Design Engineers to provide leadership in the transition of Designs to Manufactured and launched Products.
- Working alongside the Test Engineer(s) to ensure test programmes are measuring the important parameters in support of Manufacturing.
- Working alongside the Mechanical Engineer(s) to ensure that the Manufacturing Processes are within identified parameters arrived at through theoretical modelling. As such you will be key to ensuring that the models reflect reality.
- Working alongside Manufacturing to ensure the impact of technical decisions are understood fully by manufacturing.
- Quality - ensuring all documentation is of an appropriate and consistent standard.
- Suppliers – principally machinery suppliers but also material suppliers.
- Universities and other sources of ‘best in class thinking’.
- No direct reports
- Occasional UK and international travel requirements, generally no more than 1 week per month but very much project dependant.
- Problem solving – Generates and promotes solutions. Sees clearly which is the best way forward. Able to make decisions and commitments within appropriate time frame.
- Resilience – Can work under pressure, remains calm, thinks clearly and manages emotion under pressure. Addresses issues without being aggressive or controlling and can easily bounce back from setbacks. Is open to feedback and doesn’t dwell on past events.
- Team Working – Enjoys participating in group activities and likes to work in close proximity with other people. Is ready to collaborate with and support others and is willing to co-operate and compromise for the overall good.
- Analytical – Enjoys analysing qualitative data but also considers quantitative and seeks to identify and explore they key elements in information before making commitments. Tends to like to use facts and figures when planning and reporting and is concerned about accuracy and detail
- Information Gathering – Enjoys dealing with and refers to factual data. Likes to be well informed and drills down into details. Prefers to access wide range of information and opinion before making decisions and when solving problems.
- Planning and Organising – Thinks things through well in advance and maps out future activities, taking the key stages and requirements into account. Likes to monitor to ensure that things are implemented and delivered effectively
- Quality Orientation – Is precise, pays attention to details, checks things and ties up ‘loose ends’. Has a strong conscience about getting things right and seeks to ensure that decisions and solutions do not involve undue risk, adheres to policy and standards.
- Oral Communication – Talks readily and confidently to people, expressing themselves with obvious ease. Speak out and makes themselves heard, often playing a leading and influential role in debate and discussion