Product Development Placement Student - 12 month FTC
ABOUT THE ROLE
Eakin R&D Limited, part of Eakin Healthcare, is now recruiting for a student placement in the Design team. This role will report to the Design Manager and is an exciting opportunity to join a growing R&D team. Crucially, this role will be involved all aspects of product design and development throughout the NPI process leading to development of both new products and product improvements for Eakin Healthcare. The duration of the placement is for one year.
The role will depend on the successful candidate’s skill set, but they will contribute to the development of new products, primarily in ostomy. This may vary from early market conceptualisation to design verification and validation activities.
The following activities are typical of what the successful candidates may experience.
- Contribute as a team member to the design and development of new devices, from early stage product concepts to production ready product, in line with Eakin’s development strategy, Quality system and New Product Introduction Process.
- Contribute as a team member to allocated work-streams within development projects, to meet project targets and ensure products meet user and market requirements.
- Provide input to technical reports and design documentation for internal and external users to review ensuring that the content is accurate and informed.
- Provide engineering and process knowledge to input to activities and business decision making within speciality area.
- Carry out diligent laboratory testing as directed, including creation of test protocols, designing and procuring test apparatus, analysis of results and report writing.
- Student tasks will be allocated by your Line Manager and will contribute to the Deliverables of each project to which you are assigned.
- To adhere to the company’s Equal Opportunities policy and Dignity at work policy in all activities and to actively promote equality of opportunity wherever possible
- To be responsible for your own health and safety and that of your colleagues, in accordance with the company’s’ Health and Safety policy
- To adhere to the company’s Quality policy and Environmental policy
- To undertake other duties as may be reasonably required
- Must be working towards a Degree level Technical Discipline, preferably in a Design/Technical /Engineering related subject
- Experience of using a 3D parametric CAD system such as Solidworks
- Be able to work in a multi-functional, multi-disciplinary team and to build relationships with peers
- Will be comfortable with both the practical and theoretical aspects of product development
- Will have an ability to manage own time in a fast-paced environment and on multiple projects at one time
- Strong communication, interpersonal and presentation skills
- The successful candidate will have a ‘can do’ attitude and be able to work on their own initiative
- Experience in using Photoshop/Illustrator, sketching and 3D rendering to visualise concept designs
- Experimental diligence and the ability to collect, analyse and interpret data
- Working knowledge of rapid prototyping techniques and processes
- Knowledge of high-volume manufacturing processes
KEY WORKING RELATIONSHIPS
- Working within the R&D team on the tasks allocated to support projects
- Working alongside Manufacturing to understand manufacturing implications of technical decisions
- Working alongside the Commercial team(s) to understand the commercial implications of technical decisions
- Working alongside Quality to ensure all documentation is of an appropriate and consistent standard
- Test houses
- Full clean UK driving licence required with access to a vehicle
- Travel Requirements: Possible UK travel to support projects
Problem solving – Generates and promotes solutions. Sees clearly which is the best way forward. Able to make decisions and commitments within appropriate time frame.
Resilience – Can work under pressure, remains calm, thinks clearly and manages emotion under pressure. Addresses issues without being aggressive or controlling and can easily bounce back from setbacks. Is open to feedback and doesn’t dwell on past events.
Team Working – Enjoys participating in group activities and likes to work in close proximity with other people. Is ready to collaborate with and support others and is willing to co-operate and compromise for the overall good.
Following Directions – Is motivated to accept and comply with standards and instructions and has a strong conscience about delivering what is promised or expected. Doesn’t like letting people down and works productively in cooperation with, and support of others.
Analytical – Enjoys analysing qualitative data but also considers quantitative and seeks to identify and explore they key elements in information before making commitments. Tends to like to use facts and figures when planning and reporting and is concerned about accuracy and detail
Planning and Organising – Thinks things through well in advance and maps out future activities, taking the key stages and requirements into account. Likes to monitor to ensure that things are implemented and delivered effectively
Quality Orientation – Is precise, pays attention to details, checks things and ties up ‘loose ends’. Has a strong conscience about getting things right and seeks to ensure that decisions and solutions do not involve undue risk, adheres to policy and standards.
Interpersonal / Influencing – Deals with other in a convincing way that leads to gaining agreement without relying on hierarchy and shows sensitivity to working relationships. Doesn’t give up easily in the face of opinions that differ from their own. Influences others to reach conclusions and gain agreements.