ABOUT THE ROLE
We are looking for a high profile, confident and self-motivated individual who can demonstrate exceptional levels of performance in this pivotal role to manage our Group payroll and expenses process. The role will be varied, challenging and critical in establishing best in class processes to gain immediate efficiencies while creating a scalable service function.
The successful candidate will be responsible for managing all payroll and expenses activities from start to finish; will be based at either our Cardiff or Comber office and contribute towards the effectiveness and efficiency of the finance department; providing key insights and support to our HR Department in general; the Group’s Compensation & Benefits Manager in particular and also Group Operations.
The role involves processing payroll and expense transactions for Pelican Healthcare Ltd, Respond Healthcare Ltd, Eakin Surgical Ltd, TG Eakin Ltd and Eakin R&D Ltd.
The role will be employed by Pelican Healthcare Ltd and reports directly to the Director of Finance, Ostomy who reports directly to the Group Chief Financial Officer.
This role can be based from either our Cardiff or Comber site
- Ensuring compliance with Financial Control Systems and Procedures Manuals
- To maintain the Group payroll instructions manual & to ensure a “back up” resource is trained to run the Group payroll as and when required
- Full accountability of payroll processing and reconciliation, dealing with all aspects of payroll from start to finish; i.e. calculating overtime, issuing tax forms, managing special situations e.g. maternity/sickness, ensuring payment is made on time and distribution of payslips
- Accountability for ensuring all statutory and voluntary payroll reporting is adhered to and all deductions are paid to appropriate bodies within required timeframes
- Accounting for and payment to the relevant authority of Apprenticeship Levy
- First point of contact for outsourced payroll service providers
- Payroll year end processing i.e. P35s, P60s and P11Ds
- Ad hoc payroll duties and reporting
- Expenses management
- Company credit card management and control
- Maintenance of staff payroll and tax records
- Manage pension auto enrolment and Real Time Reporting Information (RTI)
- Calculation of monthly payroll recharges to statutory entities
- Liaison with HMRC, statutory auditors and other external agencies on any payroll related enquires/requests
- Dealing with all pay related queries e.g. staff queries, correction of errors, costing errors etc.
- Input into the salaries’ budget process
- Capturing and reporting information for employee related insurance.
- Lead for of all developments and legislation surrounding payroll and expenses such as Gender Pay Gap, National Minimum Wage etc.
- Lead for all communications in relation to payroll and expenses
- To play an active role in the maintenance of the new Select HR, (Payroll & Expenses system)
- Identify and implement service efficiency improvements
- To provide platform for any potential future acquisitions
- To produce a monthly report including KPIs regarding payroll related business metrics – these are to include Headcount, Direct Labour and Salaries costs vs budget, productivity measures and the calculation of standard hours earned for use in other Group operational metrics
- Support the wider Finance, HR and Operations functions as required.
- To adhere to the company’s Equal Opportunities policy and Dignity at work policy in all activities and to actively promote equality of opportunity wherever possible
- To be responsible for your own health and safety and that of your colleagues, in accordance with the company’s’ Health and Safety policy
- To adhere to the company’s Quality policy and Environmental policy
- To undertake other duties as may be reasonably required
- CIPP Qualification
- AAT Qualified or ACCA/CIMA or similar part qualified.
- Previous experience in a similar role
- Proven experience and passion using data analytics for metrics reporting
- Proactive and intuitive with strong communications skills using a business partnering approach
- Strong IT and Excel skills are required. In role you will be using Access (SelectPay), Sage 50 Payroll and SDWorx
- Diligent and able to work efficiently with attention to detail, within required timescales
- Up to date knowledge of current payroll legislation, upcoming legislation and current taxation rates
- Proven ability to lead and drive processes, compliance, internal controls and recommend new controls to be implemented
- Previous experience in large manufacturing enterprises advantageous
- Access (SelectPay)
- Sage 50 Payroll
- SDWorx Payroll knowledge
KEY WORKING RELATIONSHIPS
- Finance team
- HR team
- Operations team
- IT team
- Managers and general personnel
- HMRC and other regulatory bodies
- Software providers
- Ad hoc external stakeholders
- There will be a requirement to travel to Comber and/or other group sites from time to time
Resilience – Can work under pressure, remains calm, thinks clearly and manages emotion under pressure. Addresses issues without being aggressive or controlling and can easily bounce back from setbacks. Is open to feedback and doesn’t dwell on past events.
Team Working – Enjoys participating in group activities and likes to work in close proximity with other people. Is ready to collaborate with and support others and is willing to co-operate and compromise for the overall good.
Analytical – Enjoys analysing qualitative data but also considers quantitative and seeks to identify and explore they key elements in information before making commitments. Tends to like to use facts and figures when planning and reporting and is concerned about accuracy and detail
Information Gathering – Enjoys dealing with and refers to factual data. Likes to be well informed and drills down into details. Prefers to access wide range of information and opinion before making decisions and when solving problems.
Planning and Organising – Thinks things through well in advance and maps out future activities, taking the key stages and requirements into account. Likes to monitor to ensure that things are implemented and delivered effectively
Quality Orientation – Is precise, pays attention to details, checks things and ties up ‘loose ends’. Has a strong conscience about getting things right and seeks to ensure that decisions and solutions do not involve undue risk, adheres to policy and standards.
Interpersonal / Influencing – Deals with other in a convincing way that leads to gaining agreement without relying on hierarchy and shows sensitivity to working relationships. Doesn’t give up easily in the face of opinions that differ from their own. Influences others to reach conclusions and gain agreements.